This year, the Nominating & Election Committee (NEC) of the Bay Area Prabasi Board of Directors is seeking self-nominations of individuals to answer the call to serve the public through board representation. As a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization acting in the public interest by fostering cultural, educational, and philanthropic activities, the Board’s accountability is to the members.
For a board member this is:
- An opportunity to lead a non-profit and directly shape the future of the organization.
- An opportunity to give back to society and have a meaningful impact in the
- An opportunity to learn best practices in managing a large non-profit.
- A sense of relevancy in a forum where each voice is heard and respected.
THE ROLE OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS
The Board of Directors (Board), as the strategic governing body of the organization, is the policy-making and oversight body responsible for furthering Bay Area Prabasi’s mission, and it acts on behalf of the members and other stakeholders.
The Board can have up to 11 members. Current members are all leading entrepreneurs and professionals in their respective fields and represent a wide portfolio. The culture of the Board is very lively and collaborative. The Board prides itself on its governance and a successful outcome of all projects undertaken by the organization.
The Board’s work is furthered through the work of Executive Committees appointed by the Board.
Board members are expected to spend sufficient time to prepare for various agenda items during the weekly meetings and lead those decision-making discussions.
Additionally, the Board needs to spend time to meet with the membership and contribute actively on the various initiatives taken up by the organization.
The Board is actively engaged in the following key strategic initiatives:
- Extend the portfolio beyond cultural events
- Get the next generation involved and help them succeed
- Think & Act Global
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE BOARD
Board of Directors has the specific responsibility to:
- Further the mission of the organization
- Demonstrate commitment to the organization’s core values and beliefs, which include:
- Commitment to Excellence.
- Accountability to the Members
- Dedication to the principles of integrity, objectivity, competence, fairness, confidentiality, professionalism, and diligence that exemplify professional
- Serve as an outward-looking, future-oriented strategic governing
- Ensure the fiscal sustainability of the organization through raising funds.
- Provide oversight of the organization by engaging in the ongoing and rigorous examination, debate, and revision of the governance policies when appropriate to keep the organization consistent with the values and
- Create the link between the member and the organization through needs assessment and identifying the needs of current and prospective members.
- Facilitate effective communication between the Board, the members, and other stakeholders.
- Develop and implement an annual agenda that drives the strategic objectives of the organization.
- Create and maintain policies for developing the Board, including recruitment, tenure, leadership, board structure, composition, and board evaluation.
- Direct and oversee committees established by and reporting to the
- Commit to ongoing governance education and training.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS FOR BOARD MEMBERS
The Nominating Committee, in its sincere efforts to recruit a diverse board, seeks individuals with:
- At least 1 year of membership in good standing with Bay Area Prabasi.
- Demonstrated leadership experience in their professional career and/or volunteer work in any governing body of a non-profit.
- History of contributions in terms of strategic organizational goal setting.
- Well-regarded and established reputation within their peer group as a person with strong ethical standards.
- Successful track record of presenting a risk management approach to decision-making and conflict resolutions.
- Basic level of financial literacy and understanding budgets, financial statements, etc.
- Demonstrating an ability to balance between professional roles and responsibilities with the commitment required to serve on the Board.
- US Permanent Resident or Citizen (Temporary/Job visa-holders cannot apply due to USCIS guidelines on employment)
BOARD RECRUITMENT PRIORITIES FOR 2022
The NEC has conducted a detailed requirements analysis keeping in mind the experiences and skills that would best compliment the current directors – given the mission and future strategic direction of the organization. As a result of this analysis, the Nominating Committee anticipates identifying up to six individuals.
APPLICATION PROCESS AND TARGETED TIMELINE
The timeline for this Board member election process is as follows:
- Self-nomination applications are due on or before Dec 31, 2021
- NEC reviews applications by Jan 9th, 2022
- NEC publishes an eligible list of candidates with members by January 12th, 2022
- If there are more viable candidates than open positions, a member’s election will be held on February 5, 2022. Otherwise, the qualified nominees will become elected by